The quickest way to get caught up on the most important things happening today in Essex-Chester-Deep River.
Good morning, friends! It’s me, Karena Garrity, your host of the Daily. Here are all the most important things to know about what’s happening in town. Today’s issue includes:
- Deep River participates in CT DEEP’s waste reduction program.
- Essex Library is offering two live webinar programs.
- Pets need homes!
But first, today’s weather:
A little rain in the morning. High: 42 Low: 32.
Are you tired of blending in with all the other real estate agents in Essex-Chester-Deep River? Stand out with a premium sponsorship in our newsletter. Gain valuable exposure for yourself to our highly engaged local readership. Click here to learn more about this exclusive opportunity.
Here are the top three stories in Essex-Chester-Deep River today:
- According to the town of Deep River website, “the Town of Deep River is excited to announce the launch of its participation in the State of Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) waste reduction program beginning February 1. Residents of Deep River who have 2023 Deep River Transfer Station passes will be given free garbage and food scrap bags to be used for an entire year. The program requires that all people using the transfer station separate their food scraps from household garbage which will be brought to Quantum Biopower, an anaerobic digester in Southington, thus reducing the amount of waste that goes into garbage. Deep River residents with 2023-24 Transfer Station stickers can pick up their free bags at the following locations, dates and times: Deep River Town Hall: Sunday, January 22nd, 3- 4pm, during our Deep River Sustainable CT Bronze Certification Celebration beginning at 3pm Deep River Transfer Station: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday 8am-4pm beginning Wednesday, January 25th. More information is available on the Deep River SMM grant website: (link to the CT Sustainable is on the left hand side of the screen) ()
- There are two upcoming live webinars being offered by the Essex Library on January 26. Pricing Strategies: Determining the Value of Your Product or Service: Explore ways to develop prices and understand the role that value plays in establishing your pricing strategy will be offered. And on February 1 Marketing Fundamentals will be offered. Do you own a business locally? Do you want to learn more productive, up-to-date marketing skills? Register now for this interactive workshop with Business Executive and SCORE Mentor Margo Weitekamp. She will be providing marketing fundamentals for individuals with no formal training who want to grow their businesses. Register at . ()
- Looking to add a new member to your family? Look no further than these Essex-Chester-Deep River animal shelters for a pet available for adoption. With help from our friends at Petfinder, Patch has compiled this week’s list of animals available for adoption near you. Whether you’re looking for cuddles or companionship, one of these animals could be the perfect fit for your family. (Essex-Chester-Deep River Patch)
From my notebook:
- Chester CT Historical Society: “A 1908 ad for the “Chester House and Livery” (this is now the Spring Street Gallery of Leif Nilsson). Isn’t it remarkable to see how this building once looked? And what it was used for? And just think – it had a telephone!” ()
- Essex Park and Recreation: “looking for some community feedback. Essex Park and Recreation would like to host a family & Friends night at the Hartford Yard Goats- in May – August. Any feedback from our community would help us in determining the interest and the day of the week that would be best. We were thinking a Friday night? Attendees would pay the group rate for tickets and must provide their own transportation.” ()
- Essex Library: “New year, new hours! The Essex Library is now opening at 9am every morning (instead of 10). Closing hours are unaffected. The library remains closed on Sundays.” ()
- Tri-Town Youth Services Bureau: “Hey moms, There is still time to sign-up for our Positive Parenting Solutions series, starting next week! This group is your chance to connect with other moms in the same parenting stage and learn some strategies to help you.” ()
- Deep River Public Library: “Our Ramen Noodle Cooking Program has been moved to next Wednesday, January 25 at 6:30 pm.” ()
- Deep River Public Library: “Don’t forget to join us for Mondo Kondo on Saturday!” ()
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Friday off right. I’ll see you back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update!
— Karena Garrity
About me: I am a native of Connecticut, who currently resides in the Tri-Town community of Chester, Deep River and Essex. I have been a community reporter for the better part of the past 20 years. I love my small town community and I am honored to be a part of Patch.com. You can reach me at; email@example.com.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Essex-Chester-Deep River Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.